Feb 18, 2009

Prison. Yay!

This is one of the more touching, enlightening stories I have ever heard. It's from the "This I Believe" segment on NPR. It's a simple story: a cat wanders into a prison yard. The results are sweet, as some of the men take on the task of caring for the creature. But the most interesting part to me was what Chapman (the author) says about prison reform. If prisoners are humans who deserve humane treatment (and they are) then shouldn't they be given the opportunity to readjust to the act of loving, of caring when they have been in a cold environment for so long? Doesn't the notion of being able to care for something else often lead to a feeling of being cared for? (Is that a crazy thought? Maybe it is. But I think it is something that I believe...) That's my lecture of the day. There's a lot of talk about what's wrong with prisons in America. We need more programs; we need more psychologists or treatment of various kinds. Some even talk about making prisons more kind, but I think what we really need is a chance to practice kindness ourselves. Not receive it, but give it. In more prison related NPR podcasts, this TAL (This American Life) is amazing. The segment on Mother's Day in prison made me cry. At my desk. It was a really professional moment for me... Lockup Also this one. Hamlet in prison. Pass the tissues.

1 comment:

  1. in the gig harbor women's correctional center has a decidedly homegrown companion animal program that is now very successful and probably responsible for the early release of a few ladies. many of them also quilt, but i'm not so sure about how this activity ties to reform rates.

    ReplyDelete